Thursday, June 01, 2006

Crime and Punishment

I am no one to judge the book by that famous author who can be barely spelled – Fyodor Dostoevsky – hope I'm right at that. However, each time I lend the book to some new enthusiast, it gets returned after a few flips. I had thoroughly enjoyed that book a few years back basking under the winter sun. And each time someone asks me for a nice book or a novel to read I happily offer C&P. how is it? What is it about? Is it good? Looks too fat!? There are the most frequent FAQs I get... And the less frequent ones are how long can I take to read it and I hope it is not too "classic" for me and have you really read it?

After the initial phase is over and I am successful in actually lending the book, it is just a matter of time that it lands safely in its coveted corner unruffled. And I wonder why people find it so uninteresting.

I don't answer most of the FAQs… 'Why don't you read it and then we can talk' I usually say... Because it basically is a murderer's psycho analysis … so subtly and intriguingly dealt… I can't just take in bits and pieces from it to analyze what is it about and who it is about… it is about Raskolnikov, the main character… and the whole story revolves around different other characters in his life and his psychology... and his life in the streets of Russia… and it's wonderful…the psycho analysis…

And I just don't understand why my friends just don't read it… I carry the book back and place it beside Anna Karenina… it's just been more than a year? I smile to myself… just about a year I borrowed Ms Anna? or has it been more…

No comments: