Thursday, June 06, 2013

A balanced personality

In grade six, we had a punjabi teacher by the name of Ajit Singh. In my report card, he had not given a tick either in extrovert or introvert, but had written in his cursive writing 'Balanced'. My dad had been highly impressed, I had not understood its significance then. This post is not about my balanced personality, I highly doubt it is so now.

My concern or rather my mood at the moment is to think about balance in the intellectual and the practical side of the personality. I have increasingly found that those who are of an intellectual bent of mind, who can do maths in their head, think non-linear, be stark creative are usually not practical. These people shy away from bargaining for a few thousand rupees while they did be stuck with the pride of not paying for parking. Penny wise, pound foolish. The practical aspects of life and living, earning and feeding, sustaining and surviving simply don't enter their periphery of thought, and while forced into this family life practicality, they try to think of models around each chore.

The 'other' kind of people are the practical hard bargainers, multi-taskers. This bunch knows where to get a good bargain for a cheap and fast laptop, buy a lasting pair of shoes and that no.7 paint brush you have been looking for all over town. They know where to spend their bucks, how to hold a conversation and talk, basically.

My question however is, is introvert and extrovert related to these personality types? No. I have seen introvert people who are extremely practical. Does the left side and the right side brain got anything to do with it, leaving aside the debate that the left and the right side is just a myth? Maybe Type A and Type B personality types that is studied in B-schools? I don't know.

But god! a little bit mix of both practicality and hard core idealistic intellectualism would really help the world albeit an inclination to one type of personality can't be helped.

No comments: