Thursday, July 26, 2007

all ears

And the phone slips of the sweat between the ears which has gone hot of the long hour of talk. It is difficult to hold it there any longer so it is brought a little afar from the ears to just let the voice reach the ear letting some air pass in between. It is switched from one ear to the next as frequently as needed...
The exasperated voice is heated without any end though ...how can you say you don't understand me after 8 months?!
Silence at the other end...except a faint tchk tchk...tchk...tchk...
Are you at your nails again??
Silence...tchk tchk stops
How is it going to work if you just remain silent? say something..shall i cut off? You don't want to talk to me? ..........okay, we don't have to talk about this right now.....tell me, how was work yesterday................................hello?
Click.
Hello?? Damn!
I don't like him yelling at me on the phone, so I put it down...it relieved me of the hot burning sensation...the air cooled down my ear. The ear rings were loosened up too....so I took it off...meticulously, not to drop it where I can't search it again. I wiped cleaned my ear lobes, returned my ~kerchief neatly folded to my coat pocket...and put on the rings again...first left then right. Hm..neat.
Who was it on the phone your food's all cold come in and eat...
It was mom - all in one breath.
On the table there was rice with dal and aloo.
Hm......Contemplatively I took two sliced cool pieces of cucumber from the platter and took it to my still warm ears. Hmm...it felt cool. After a while the cucumber and the ear were the same temperature. The pieces now warm, felt unhygienic…I placed them beside my plate, took my mobile and dialed his number. I got to see you, I need to talk to you, I said, in half an hour at the cafĂ©, you gonna be there? Finally! Sure honey, I am all ears.

No comments: