Thursday, July 26, 2007

heavy clouds all around...mountain lust green

It's lunch time!
The little of a writer I am, I had decided to write something of my experience at college a few weeks back for my own memory sake of which I am scarce. I started on a fresh sheet of paper and wrote 8 pages straight when I was interrupted for my supper, after which I have not gone back to it. I would not have mentioned this thing had i not come across this very nicely written blog on writing. It's called the REAL Writing Life, and the blogger, author of a few bestsellers, offers suggestions on writing. One strong take for me was that the writer has to be obsessive with his writing - be it the plot, the story, the words, or the sentences. This obsession will take the writer to its completion. Being obsessive to the end - while writing seems the most difficult part, at least for me. Somewhere I had read that V.S. Naipaul used to write for the sake or satisfaction of writing - not for anything else...he used to frame expressions and descriptions on his way back from work because beautiful expressions, sleek descriptions are the heart of literature..when it touches you at the level of Art, I think a literary piece is successful.

**********************
I have no skills. That is what I think. I cannot play a sport. I cannot write. I cannot draw or paint. I am not a computer freak. I can't drive, I don't have a good figure and I can't sing. I don't play an instrument either. Sometimes I think about myself and say to me and those ears around - I am pathetic. Had it been my younger brother around, he would have been quite satisfied to hear this. He'd have added - I told you so! But as my boss once mentioned to me confusedly, who likes to take opinion on many things...you have that....knack....to sense. He was reflective and I was reflective at that point of time - on me. Being reflective on oneself with someone else by your side doing the same thing is a different experience I realized, because these occasions are rare, as least for me. Well that was it...i don't remember any concrete outcome of the reflection because that was not our objective, the objective was to kill time ... to think of something ..anything.
**********************

It's been raining now and then...now and then....to the point that you forget whether it rained yesterday or not. Many people are ill because of it. The weather takes a heavy toll on the moods of people whether we accept this fact or not. Some people like it, some don't. The heavy mood is on. Whatever one looks at looks heavy..starting from the clouds, the mountains, the leaves and trees, the wet birds, soaked dresses, hair, buses, cars, and mobikes, slippers, tyres, window panes, umbrellas....everything is soaked...heavy...filled.

No comments: